Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

well

It looks like I am on the official lookout for a job. Apparently the Holiday Inn is no longer gonna be the Holiday Inn (meaning no awesome bargains) and the new owners are kind of nuts (not in a fun way) and in the long run I'd rather donate plasma twice a week than be ruthlessly scrutinized by a 3-1/2 foot tall lady from the Philippines or Taiwan or whatever Asiatic country was invaded by the Spanish.

(No, that's not racism -- it's evidence of a logical fallacy. Because I have never interacted with a kind, sane, or intelligible Asian individual, I presume that there are no kind, sane, or intelligible Asian individuals. It's not that I dislike them. I'm just, you know, waiting to be proved wrong.)

Anyway. If you hear of anywhere that's hiring, hook a sista up?

Anyway anyway.

I'm reading this book called House of Leaves and holy fire, is it a trip and a half. It's full of creepy goings-on, but not like in a Beast from Hell way. It's more disturbing than that, like when you see a hand with six fingers or come across a door that refuses to open even though you've unlocked it several times. Unsettling, I guess, is the best word to describe it. And I'm blogging to take a break from it because I'm at work alone at night.

Hmm. I need pepper spray.

Tonight I went over and played with Marcus and Leah and Grannette while Bryan and Kristina saw True Grit. Marcus and I played some games on their new Wii, and Leah made Grandma hold a doll while she brushed its hair. We had a pretty good time -- when my siblings are around, I'm usually the last choice for playmate, I guess because I don't have as much energy as Phoebe and Zoe do. But tonight Leah sat on my lap and we had a fun little conversation about how many times Marcus was going to kill Mario while Grannette took a well-deserved five minute snooze.

Tried to play "Would You Rather...?" (the board game) with Mom, Dad, Zoe, Ian, and Alec, but I don't know how much fun anyone had. For a while it was nice and silly, but after a while Zoe started making fun of me because I used the word naiveté in a sentence (she holds an imaginary monocle and does this foppish highbrow laugh if I ever say anything she perceives as being pretentious) and at that point it kind of stopped being enjoyable for me.

(For the record: naiveté isn't some archaic, Olde Worlde term that's only available to Ivy Leaguers. People use it all the time. And anybody could tell you that that's just how I talk -- I use words I know, just like anybody else and so I don't really know what the big deal is.)

Ugh.

Well, I guess I'm gonna hit Craigslist's job ads before I get back into my freaky, freaky book. Hopefully I will have a new job soon and can read at night in the comfort of my own bed!

1 comment:

  1. Farmer's Insurance Bureau on... main street? Is looking for a receptionist. It pays like 10.25 an hour. And he was all ready to hire me but I had a crime on my record that made it so he couldn't. I could get you the email address of the guy, he's looking for a female because they're more pleasant on the phone.
    I don't know if he already filled the position or not, but it might be worth a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete