Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Chrimbus.

To quote my friend, Claire, (who frequently quoted a strange band called Ima Robot), "here's a story for the kids!"

Other than the fact that I've had to work most of this week, and that I managed to contract a hideous cold, Christmas was very good. I got (in no order of importance):

1. Tommy Bahama luggage (for my mission -- Mom and Dad assured me it wasn't a hint)
2. A new silver iPod Nano (which is functional, unlike my 3rd-gen iPod Classic)
3. The 3rd season of Frasier (from Ian, who is a totally rad bro)
4. $50 dollar iTunes gift card (from Grannette)
5. A beautiful beaded jewelry box
6. Gloves and socks
7. A copy of the plays of Anton Chekhov (in a reliable translation -- no more janky Penguin Classics!)
8. A Chagall calendar
9. A unicorn Pillow Pet ("It's a pillow! It's a pet! It's a Pillow Pet!!")
10. A SUPER-DARLING unicorn necklace
11. Beautiful green/blue/brass earrings
12. Somewhere in Time on DVD
13. A triptych of the Indian Buddha (from Spencer!!!!!!! He painted it!!!!)

I'm sure I probably forgot something because I'm in a cough-syrup coma, but all in all it was a delightful day and I'm super grateful for everyone who was kind enough to (a) present me with a gift or (b) share their time with me.

I feel kind of bad, though, because I didn't really have a bunch of time this Christmas to do spiritual things. I mean, I've been unconscious most of the days because of work, and other than thinking about Christ and sitting outside the temple for 3-5 minutes every night before I go in to start my shift, I haven't had the opportunity to really focus on why we celebrate this holiday. I didn't even get a chance to listen to "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming." And while it's been really nice to spend the holiday with my family and relax, today I couldn't help but think, "Oh my gosh, how amazing is Christmas going to be while I'm on my mission?!" Imagine -- celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ in a place where you are totally surrounded by people who have sacrificed their time and their money to preach His gospel. I am totally stoked for that experience.

Anyway.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get in to talk to President Meyers about the whole ward/mission thing. I want to start filling my papers out now so I can get my call! I want to go through the temple! I want to know where I'm going!


No comments:

Post a Comment