Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day One: Variables Are Not Just For Math

The most remarkable thing about life, I think, is that for all it's consistency, it's fairly unpredictable. While it's pretty easy to guess, chronologically, how your day will go, there are thousands of invisible variables flitting through the air, haphazard little wings itching to surprise those of us who are caught in a social/economic/educational rut or pattern. Of course, there are both positive and negative potentialities surrounding us at all times. We just never know when they're going to take that unexpected sojourn into our personal space.

As of the past several weeks, I've been fortunate enough to have been dive-bombed by a variety of these "positive variables" (heretofore referred to as PV's). In most cases, these have been people who are completely delightful to work with, lovely friends, and exciting new acquaintances -- and I find them all equally valuable/interesting.

However, I think the PV people who have had the most impact on my outlook are those who I expected to be very unpleasant. Due to my own insecurity (coupled with that heinously magical Resistant Way of Being), I thought that these people were going to be critical, unfocused, and generally apathetic. This, I have realized, was a tremendous error in judgment on my part. As it turns out, these individuals have shown me an incredible amount of support, kindness, and respect. They never miss an opportunity to let me know that my work is appreciated.

Do I feel like an oaf for such harsh misjudgment? Yes, but not often. I'm too busy feeling grateful I was wrong. (Also, grateful that God continues to bless my life with such outstanding people despite my being an oaf.)

No comments:

Post a Comment