Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day Four: Oh, hi.

Today I drove to Las Vegas with Dad, Zoe, Phoebe and Alec to visit my Grandpa Davenport, who is pretty sick. I'm fairly positive he's getting ready to pass on, which I feel bad about because I never really got to know him. I mean, I know they've just lived a couple of hours away... for some reason, no connections were ever made. But, despite all that, I do love him very much and I feel terrible that he's been in pain. I was glad for the opportunity to see him and tell him goodbye.

I also got to see my aunts, Katie and Jennifer, my uncle, Carl, and my cousins, Jessica, David (+ his wife, Audrey, and their daughter, Lilith), and Mike. While I visited my grandparents at some point last spring, I hadn't seen these family members in years. It was great to talk with them for a few minutes before we headed home again.

Before we left, Grandpa told me to take care of myself so I didn't end up where he was. At first I kind of figured that he meant not to smoke, and to try to be healthy so that old age wouldn't be a huge bitch. However, now that I've had the chance to think about it, I wonder if he didn't mean to make sure to maintain good, solid relationships with my family members.

I love every member of my family, no matter how quirky or eccentric. I just wish we could have gotten together more frequently, earlier, and for more lighthearted reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment